Jurisdictional Information

The New Hanover County Building Safety Department issues trade permits for each of the following jurisdictions:

View the Permit Jurisdictions Diagram »

For new construction and additions, a building permit is required prior to obtaining a trade permit from the Building Safety Department. For existing construction, remodels, the Department issues stand-alone trade permits for work done in the respective trades. The same rule applies for trade permits for work in the unincorporated areas of the county and also for work in all of the jurisdictions listed above.

The City of Wilmington’s building permits are issued by the New Hanover County Building Safety Department. However, the Towns of Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, and Wrightsville Beach each issue their own building permits. To apply for a trade permit to perform work in one of these towns, the applicant must submit a copy of the building permit issued by the applicable town prior to applying for a trade permit from the Building Safety Department.

Note: an application alone does not constitute a permit and work in any manner must not begin without the issuance of a permit. Work performed without a permit is a violation of state law and is prosecutable to the fullest extent according to the applicable ordinances and regulations. Additionally, the county assesses additional fees for work performed without an issued permit.

Building Safety: 230 Government Center Dr, Suite 170 • Wilmington, NC 28403 • Phone 910-798-7308 • Fax 910-798-7811
Skip to content